Wednesday, February 25, 2015

My son the DM

Last year I introduced my 11 and 9 year old kids to gaming for the first time. They've seen me run for my friends, and we play a lot of board games (including the D&D 4e games), and they were keen to try their hand at an RPG.

We started with Dungeon World. It's a simple game to jump into, and doesn't require a lot of specialized knowledge on the players' part. They adored it, particularly my son, and ask to play all the time.

Unfortunately we don't have enough time to just sit and play very often, so my son has decided to draw upon his other resources: his friends.

Yesterday he asked me if he could borrow my Dungeon World book. Today he's half way through reading it and asking me to print character sheets. I'm proud of him, he's a smart kid, but doesn't always follow through and apply himself. Having been that kid myself 30 years ago, I know how much RPGs (or any hobby that requires a certain amount of work really) can help with that.

It's kind of a weird place to be at really. I never thought I'd raise gamers. Not that I have anything against it, but I know people who actively encourage hobbies or opinions outside of the norm, and that's just not me. I sit back and try to let my kids discover their own personalities instead of pushing my hobbies and ideas on them, and yet they came to this on their own.

It's a little cool, I'm not going to lie.


No comments:

Post a Comment