Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Providing some context, part I: Earthdawn

So, let's talk a little about what I'm currently doing with my games, so when I mention one later it might make a bit more sense.

First, I'm going to start with Earthdawn 3rd Edition. The game I've been running the longest right now is my Earthdawn campaign. It's been going for nearly two years now, though in fairness we've only played 16 times. This is a solo game I run for one of my players when we want to do something, but no one else is around. When I was in school this was pretty infrequent, maybe once every 4 to 6 weeks, but now that I'm done we're trying to maintain a steady every-other-week schedule.

Something that really sticks with me about this campaign is how resilient it is. 90% of the time, if I missed four or five weeks in a game, I'd be ready to move on to something else. With just one player and no real hurry though we've managed to really flesh out these characters and this world. We know them well enough to jump right back in, and would miss playing them if we were to outright quit.

The story itself is your standard Earthdawn fare. Our main character, Rask, is from a community newly emerged from spending more than 300 years trapped underground, hiding from the Horrors (a race of demon-like creatures that cross over into our world whenever the magic level grows too high). The community is short on supplies and finds itself at odds with another nearby community who sees their newly planted farm fields as a solution to their own food problems.

Meanwhile, ork raiders start harassing both communities driving them ever closer to war. In the end, when a battle does come it is only stopped by the intervention of a newly discovered enemy more dangerous than any of the others, forcing all of the communities in the area to band together. \\It's not a perfect truce however, and always on the verge of collapse as we enter winter and one of the towns begins to starve, so our player is off to find a magical sword, a symbol of leadership for the starving people, and a new place for them to call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment